Q: about various types of EGT probes.

Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com Steve.Flanagan at VerizonWireless.com
Thu Sep 6 19:47:41 GMT 2001

Everyone uses K-type that I know, the type dictates the temp range as well
as the linear response of the type thermocouple.  K-type is good upto about
2000 deg F.

What are you going to read the sensor with, its not as simple as just
measuring voltage.  A circuit has to be used that measures the junction as
well as compensates for temp of the op amps being used.  I looked into it
several years ago, not rocket science, but is not trivial either.
Thats the extent of my knowledge on it for now.  5 years ago I looked into
building one, I wound up buying one instead.  There is plenty of info on the
net regarding using these devices, start with www.OMEGA.com and look at
their data sheets.

Here is one site I remember:
http://www.dataforth.com/catalog/doc_generator.asp?Path=intro.signal.html

Check out some data recorder companies and you can see what they are using.
RACEPAK.com, Corsa-Inst.com, Autometer, etc...

SF