Q: about various types of EGT probes.

Eric Fahlgren efahl at adams.com
Fri Sep 7 11:28:19 GMT 2001

Steve.Flanagan at verizonwireless.com wrote:

> Everyone uses K-type that I know, the type dictates the temp range as well
> as the linear response of the type thermocouple.  K-type is good upto about
> 2000 deg F.
>
> What are you going to read the sensor with, its not as simple as just
> measuring voltage.  A circuit has to be used that measures the junction as
> well as compensates for temp of the op amps being used.  I looked into it
> several years ago, not rocket science, but is not trivial either.

It might be a lot more trivial now.  Check out this Autospeed
article (is there _anything_ these guys haven't done :).  They
use an AD595AQ K-type thermocouple interface (14 pin dip), which
produces a voltage linearly proportional to the probe temperature,
pretty sweet, eh?  I've been thinking about putting a bunch on
my motor, pre-turbo, post-turbo/pre-IC, post-IC...

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0376/P_1/article.html

--
Eric Fahlgren                            Mechanical Dynamics, Inc
efahl at adams.com                          Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA