Q: about various types of EGT probes.

Ron Schroeder rjs at bnl.gov
Fri Sep 7 12:08:46 GMT 2001

Hi Mike,

Reading a EGT thermocouple isn't a big deal these days.  Many DVMs have a
thermocouple input.  Some even have MAX/MIN functions that are helpfull.
You can extend thermocouples with copper vut make sure the connections to
both + and - are similar so their thermocouple effects cancel.  Using
copper will only degrade the accuracy a few degrees which is good enough
for exhaust work most of the time.

Ron

>>From: "Diehl, Jeffrey" <jdiehl at sandia.gov>
>>To: "'diy_efi at diy-efi.org'" <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
>>Subject: Q: about various types of EGT probes.
>>Date: Thu, Sep 6, 2001, 11:54 AM
>>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I'm looking into putting one or more exhaust temp probes in one of my cars.
>>While pricing the probes, I was asked what type of probe I need.  Quick
>>research on the Web revealed that these probes are designated as K-type,
>>J-type, N-type, etc.  Does anyone know what this refers to?  Is it form
>>factor, or electrical characteristics, for example?
>>
>>Any source of information on the topic would be most appreciated.
>>
>>Thanx,
>>Mike Diehl,

Ron Schroeder
WD8CDH