Fuel Injector swaps, and means of viewing IDC in the car.

Eric Fahlgren efahl at adams.com
Thu Sep 13 14:37:53 GMT 2001

"Jorge M. Carrillo" wrote:

> Mazda RX-7 Turbo II (top fed, high impedence, 550CC).  When rails or
> manifolds have to be modified is it typically to enlarge the opening to
> accept the new injectors?  I've ordered a new fuel rail for my car (cheap at

If your manifold uses "injector cups" or "insulators" this should be
easy (provided the new injectors aren't a lot larger).  Screw out the
old cups and turn the hole to fit the new injector.  Again, lots of
assumptions are being made here, that both injectors use a similar
mounting method and so on.

Check out the pic of the scooby doo injector at the bottom of this
page and see if your Rex's look like that.  If so, you are probably
SOL wrt using the 550s without a bunch of fabrication.

   http://www.sdsefi.com/injectors.htm

>         Also, I am looking for a way of being able to monitor injector duty cycle
> from inside the car.  I don't want to have to use a multi-meter.  Are there
> any "affordable" stand alone units that could be tied into an injector wire
> to measure IDC?

The usual ignition dwell meter always comes to mind.

--
Eric Fahlgren                            Mechanical Dynamics, Inc
efahl at adams.com                          Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA