'97 Ford PCM software modding?

Tom tleser at purdue.edu
Thu Sep 13 17:10:47 GMT 2001

Hi all, I am new to this list and found this a few weeks back after looking
around for months for something like this and stumbled up it.  But basically
I have a '97 Ford Taurus with a code of NXZ1, I currently have a superchip
but being a EET major at Purdue I think it would be nice if I could get away
from chips (due to how expensive custom programming is) and possibly
changing the program of the PCM around myself?

I have read most of the book "understanding automotive electronics" and
while most of the book is really good it touches very little on the actual
computer itself.  So I'm pretty much a newbie about this.  But I have spoke
with my microprocessors class Prof. and he was saying that if I could locate
the chip we have the equipment to pull the assembly code from it.  I DO know
some C and and still learning a lot more, but basically where do I start for
something like this?  I know the chips are accessible from underneath the
PCM but does anyone possibly know what brand uC it uses?  Than from there
how would I go about editing parameters for say an 80mm MAF in assembly?
Will my C knowledge even be useful since C is cross-platform?  Thanks guys,

Tom