MegaSquirt

Bruce Bowling bbowling at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 13 19:50:53 GMT 2001

All,

For the last several months I and Al Grippo has been working on an
inexpensive electronic fuel injection controller for automotive engines
whose content is ready for full release to the DIY community:

      http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Design of this device was undertaken because of the apparant need for an
inexpensive, turn-key fuel injection controller by many individuals. The
hope was that the EFI332 project would result in a system which could
ultimately be used for all applications, and this was one of the main
reasons for offering our 4-layer MC86332 board as the EFI332 platform
2-1/2 years ago. However, very few systems have been built and installed
on vehicles (Al has been running one on his Camaro for almost 1 year,
and Jeff Clarke is ready to fire one up in his restored Corvette). I
feel that one of the main reasons for the small amount of operational
systems is due to the complexity of the current EFI332 system. One has
to be both a hardware and software expert, install and learn a bunch of
software development tools, write enbedded code, and become an expert in
engine control algorithms. The EFI332 system is very powerful and
flexible, but requires a tremendous learning curve, a wide range of
skills, and many hours to pull off. Do not get me wrong - I hope that
many EFI332 systems come alive, it is a powerful and complete unit. But,
I think that there is another group of people out there who want an EFI
system in a more complete and turnkey state, and somewhat simpler.

The philosophy for the MegaSquirt system was simple: provide a
controller for fuel injectors which can be adapted to any application,
without having to write embedded code or understand the details of
engine controls. In addition, provide all the schematics, software,
algorithms, etc. to everyone - keep nothing hidden. Provide enough
information for anyone to duplicate the system with ease. This is not a
commercial unit, but directed to DIY applications. Also, the circuit is
going to be featured in an upcoming Circuit Cellar issue.

In short, MegaSquirt is a fuel injector controller (fuel only, no spark
control is provided - this is to come later in another system) which
uses standard sensors (coolant temp, manifold air temp, throttle
position, oxygen, trigger from existing ignition system) to perform
batch fuel injector (two banks) pulsewidth control. A flash-based
Motorola microprocessor (MC68HC908GP32) is used for the calculation of
fuel and injector control. Additionally, host software has been
developed (widows-based) which allows the run-time adjustment of control
parameters. All information for the system is available on the web site
above.

This is not a system under development - MegaSquirt is a complete
functional system which has been tested on two applications. I have
MegaSquirt installed on my Jaguar (Chevy 350-powered) and is now a daily
driver.

--
- Bruce

             Bruce A. Bowling