Barometric pressure

Jason Haines jhaines at lingenfelter.com
Fri Sep 14 05:47:20 GMT 2001

On the newer GM vehicles, (such as the 1994 application originally asked
about) the MAP sensor is used to determine the barometric pressure. In
addition to setting the barometer to the MAP reading at key up, the MAP
readings are also compared to the stored barometer reading under different
conditions (WOT being one of them) and changed based on the expected
pressure drop in the system at different RPM levels, throttle positions and
air flows (in MAF based systems). Different vehicles, ECMs etc. have
different levels of complexity of this model.  It is my understanding that
one of the reasons for doing this form of barometric pressure updating, in
addition to whatever issues the OE may have, is to comply with EPA and CARB
requirements for altitude compensation (manufacturers are no longer allowed
to have separate high altitude calibrations).

Some appilications do use a separate barometric pressure sensor but this is
rare (I only know of one GM application).

The above information applies to GM vehicles but should be true for many
other applications. They all want to save money on sensors so they try to
reduce the content on the ECM and in the vehicle (plus, less parts means
less parts to go bad).

Just my $0.02

Jason