problems with EFI car idle and pressure sensors

Bruce Bowling bbowling at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 21 00:32:58 GMT 2001

Hello David,

The setup you describe should work fine at idle, and I agree with others that it may just be reproducibility with the throttle position sensor setup. Are you using a linear pot for the
TPS sensor - I know that many alpha-N systems out there use non-linear potentiometers, or drive the pot with a constant current setup, all to combat the "sine" effect of the airflow vs.
throttle angle.

My first try may be to use a "fixed" value for the idle pulsewidth whenever the ADC value of the pot is below a certain "threshold" , i.e. if the TPS reading is less than 0.6 volts then
use a fixed number (also check RPM). This is aken to the TPS switches that some early systems had indicating closed and open throttle position. For a non-modified engine, the MAP should
be pretty much constant at idle without load. This is only a temporary fix (it will not work when you put a load on the engine), but you should be able to get a decent idle out of it,
verifying to you that there is not something else wrong (ignition, etc).

Another thing - what is your injector pulsewidth at idle? If it is real small, like less than 2 milliseconds, then you may be in the injector "open" time region where things are not that
linear. Also, is the fuel rail pressure stable - this will screw you up. Hook up a pressure gauge and a manifold vacuum gauge and determine if the fuel rail pressure is correct.

- Bruce

> > sensors
> > on a Atmel AVR
> > project. I have installed it