interesting project, efi needed

Craig Dotson crdotson at vt.edu
Wed Sep 26 13:01:21 GMT 2001

> As far as I know Wolf 3D is only good up to 8K for a V8, not sure
> Haltech can go that far either.
>
> Dan  dzorde at erggroup.com

The Haltech E6K (the newest version) is capable of 16,000 rpm.  I've seen it
run at 13k (the rev limiter).  The problem with it is that ignition spark is
not the Haltech's strong point.  Your coils/ignitors that you choose to use
can make a difference, but using our stock motorcycle coils (2 for a 4 cyl)
and Bosch ignitors (don't have the specs handy) we have problems with
misfires at high rpm and high engine load.  Most of this is because the
Haltech uses a time-based ignition advance system, and the choices for crank
position sensors are inherently low-resolution.  At high rpm this time-based
system just doesn't have the capability of providing accurate spark.  This
is using the previous Haltech, version E6S I believe.  Ignition
characteristics in the E6K are basically unchanged.

On the ignition side, the Tec2 and the soon to be released Tec3 by
ElectroMotive has much stronger ignition characteristics.  They use a
higher-resolution CPS and a position-based ignition advance.  The Tec2 is
available with 8cyl worth of coils, and the Tec3 will initially be available
with only 8cyl coil configuration.  These are expensive...Tec2 is $1972 and
the Tec3 will be in the neighborhood of $2300 when it launches about a month
from now.  Availability on the Tec3 will be limited at first, with the first
customers getting their hands on them through a Beta test program.  If you
think you might be a good testbed for the product, or could give
ElectroMotive commercial exposure, contact them and ask about the Tec3 Beta
program.  Sounds like you do have an interesting challenge for their
products!

I think their url is http://www.electromotive-inc.com

Craig Dotson
crdotson at vt.edu