M Power

Scott_Hay at toyota.com Scott_Hay at toyota.com
Thu Sep 27 19:12:12 GMT 2001

Paul,

I remember reading about the BMW fuel some years ago.  One of the most
interesting things I recall was a very high specific gravity.  If memory
serves it was greater than 1.000.  It was because of this that a spec fuel
was mandated.

Scott

    The BMW turbo was an amazing motor, the highest specific output engine
used in GP racing.  It was an inline 4 production block, with the same
sized
main and rod bearings, but the 4 valve head was based on the F2 racing
motor.
 The maximum boost pressure used was 5.6 bar (absolute), the dyno ran out
at
1400 hp, and the estimated hp was 1420-1450  (950 hp/lt).  The injection
system was Kugelfisher mechanical, with a digitally controlled steeper
motor
on the pump cam, and cold water spraying on the intercooler.  It was less
sophisticated than the Honda RA-167E, with it's EFI and thermostatically
controlled intake air and fuel temperatures, but the Honda never produced
more than 1100 hp.  Apparently, the secret to the BMW's high output was the
fuel.  The designer, Paul Rosche, confirmed it was a BASF formula created
for
high boost Luftwaffe fighters in WWII.  I don't know what was in it, but
Honda reported they ran their engines on 84 % toulene to allow 35 degree
BTDC
ignition timing at 2.5 bar boost during a race.  I saw (and smelled) the
BMW
race several times in the early 1980's and it clearly had a power advantage
when it wasn't on fire.

Paul Saltwick