Correct A:F Ratio @ WOT?

Jeff Meager jmeager at bigpond.com
Fri Sep 28 01:00:36 GMT 2001

Having said that, nearly all engine perform best in lean conditions,
however, this is not conducive to a long running engine.  Take my turbo
nissan.  It loves 13:1, however at this it is sitting right on its ping
threshold, as found under differing situation, and the EGT's go off the
dial.

The only real way to tune is EGT and AFR.  You want to make sure you're not
melting the engine where it "wants" to be vs where it "needs" to be.

As a basic safe rule of thumb.

WOT
Non-turbo 12.5-13.5:1

Turbo anwhere from 10.5 - 12:1.

My factory turbo cars have always run 10.5:1 out of the factory.  It tune
mine to 12:1 on big turbo engines, and small factory engines I tune to
11-11.5:1

JEff