Algorithm vs. fuel map

Santi Udomkesmalee scathontiphat at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 28 04:55:53 GMT 2001

please excuse me if I have made a huge mistake in understanding these
systems.  any corrections and explanations would be greatly appretiated.

So my question is regarding the calculation of proper pulsewidths by the
ECM.  It is my understanding that a system like the Megasquirt uses
algorithms which calculate on the fly the proper pulse width from the needed
inputs.  What sort of advantage does this have over useing a system which
looks up the pulsewidth in a preprogramed fuel map.  It seems that in a
sequential injection situation at high rpms, the processing power to
continuously calculate the proper injection would get costly when designing
a system.  What are the draw backs of using a system with a pre-programed 3D
fuel map.  I may be misunderstanding how these systems work though.  It
seems to me that while a preprogramed map might take slightly longer to
program, it would result in a cheaper and possibly more reliable system.

My second question has nothing to do with EFI, so sorry for asking it, but I
was wondering why in a V-shaped engine, many performance automobiles
(ferrari, lamborghini, etc.) used two plenums instead of one.  I understand
the notion that the larger volume needed when running only one plenum would
result in slower throttle response, but is that it?  Also, when running a
forced induction type setup, would a dual plenum design still be a worthwile
design?

thanks in advance for any light you guys can shed on the subjects

-santi u