braindrizzle

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Fri Sep 28 22:45:54 GMT 2001

Those are good thoughts, but here are some others
reflecting my opinions.

A digital lookup table can modify a curve.  If the
curve relating 2 different voltages ever changes
from positive slope to negative (or the reverse), you
not only need the level, but also the slope, to convert
to a new waveform.  The rising and falling parts of a
sine wave have the same voltage levels, but the
2 corresponding cosine voltages are different.  A
lookup table doesn't cut it, a processor could do it.

A simple translation of voltage levels could be done
much more simply with an OP amp and a couple of
resistors.  I already proposed (to BobR) a
"universal" pattern where you chose the voltage
translation you want from a table, and it tells you
which resistors to solder into the pattern.  Inverting
or non, no problem.  There is already some space
for that on the WB pc board, but not the pattern.  It
could also be included on a display board.

If you are interested in the LED bar graph, you already
have a completely linear fuel added to display change
function.  There would really be nothing for a more
complex circuit to do.  The operation of this is online,
and although the theory is a little messy, the circuit is
straightforward.   By the way, this has been tested for
dozens of hours in actual vehicle engine tuning, and
the conclusion (so far) is that this is a far more useful
output than a digital reading of any kind.

If you need a digital display of A/F, you will need some
kind of conversion/look up table.  Instead of reinventing
the wheel, I suggest someone reprogram that JAYCAR
unit which could do the job.

If you want to do really fancy frequency domain or level
clipping stuff, or RS232, you will need something more
fancy.  But I think these functions are not even defined
now, and would take lots of time to develop.  In the mean
time my opinion is that the simpler functions (and possibly
those most in demand) should be made available as soon
as possible.  It would be ideal if these shaped up about the
time people are getting their basic WB boxes operational.
I built these things into my WB prototype, but putting it
all on the first board would have delayed an already too
much delayed project.

Bruce Roe