WB testing problems

bcroe at juno.com bcroe at juno.com
Sun Apr 14 19:03:18 GMT 2002

Steve,

Sounds like the meter is OK.

With 7.8 V on the +4 side of R38, there must be leakage
on the other side pulling it down to 6.75V.  Check first for
solder splashes to that wire.  Assuming no shorts, there
are 3 parts that could cause the leakage.  Those are
ISO1 at pin 4, C12 at plus, and U3B at pin 5.

As a check against reversed parts, move the probe from
R38 to those pins.  Count from the dot on the case to pin
4 of ISO1 and expect the same 6.75 V.  Do this at pin 5
of U3 and the PLUS terminal of C12.  If you see a different
voltage, the part might be reversed.

If that checks out, certainly do BobRs test of shorting ISO1
pin 1 to pin 2.  If this fixes the problem, Q1 may be leaking.
Try shorting Q1 pin 1 and 2 together; if that gives you 8V at
R38, Q1 is leaking.  I would suggest reducing R1 to 33K
and see if it is cured.

If all that fails, you could remove the 3 parts one at a time
until R38 goes to 8V.  As BobR suggested, disconnect
C12 first as most likely suspect.  I would disconnect
ISO1 next, and then U3 pin 5.  Sometimes you can just
cut the pin, then bridge the cut with solder when the bad
part is found.  Its a good idea to check each cut with an
ohmmeter to make sure its really cut, or use your volt
meter to see a different voltage on each side running.

Bruce Roe