[Diy_efi] O2 sensor sensitivy speed

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sat Apr 27 02:57:40 GMT 2002

Henning Baldersheim wrote:

> > > So that by you can tune each injector individually.
> >That might be much more difficult.  How would you synchronize each "pulse"
> >of the O2
> >output with a specific cylinder?
>
> My initial thought would be to place the sensor so early in the exhaust
> stream that you are able to calculate it based on rpm/map and travel
> distance.
On some engines you can see individual cylinder intake events by viewing the MAP
signal with a scope.  Would it be easier to identify each cylinder by using a
reference for #1 cylinder then counting each reference pulse up to the last
cylinder? You could look for an O2 reading within a window of time after each
reference pulse, and decrease the window as rpm increases?  Then you couls discard
pulses that did not arrive within that time window, and reset the cycle if needed.

> You would have to have them so close that there would be no room
> for a second pulse from the same cylinder.
That would make for a very short manifold.

> Of course it would be the
> simplest if the pulse reached the sensor before the next one fired at any rpm.
> I am not sure if this is practically possible, but If you are able to see
> separate pulses on the sensor it sounds that it should be possible at least
> up to a certain rpm point.

What I've seen are individual pulses that, when grouped together, followed the
traditional rich/lean cycle used in most engines.
Shannen