[Diy_efi] Getting low impedance injectors to work with Gen 6 Accel DFI

Robert Wilkinson rnwilkinson at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 1 20:37:32 GMT 2002

Has anyone tried using 8 low impedance injectors with
a Gen 6 Accel Batch fire DFI (015013)?

Mr. Gasket is currently claiming that this DFI will
not drive 8 low impedance injectors.
http://www.mrgasket.com/maildirect/helpdesk/problemdetail.asp?ID=46895&TicketID=46895

However, there are 3 reasons that I’m not 100%
convinced it won’t work:

1)
Before the introduction of the Gen 7 DFI and the
Variable Injector Controller, Mr. Gasket used to claim
that the Gen 6 Batch fire DFI would support 8 low
impedance injectors.  An article about the Gen 6 was
printed in the Jan 1998 issue of High Tech Performance
magazine.
It said “The deficiency of most factory ECU’s was also
corrected by the employment of four peak-and-hold
drivers in lieu of the customary two saturated drivers
that most OE management systems incorporate.  This
allowed the DFI the ability to control low-resistance
high-flow injectors, enabling the fuel system to
support huge hp numbers.”
Mr. Gasket was listed as the source of this article.
I asked Mr. Gasket about this in March 2000, and they
emailed me and said “Sir, The article is incorrect”.
However, they still keep a copy of this article on
their website today.  The quote is on page 15 of 34:
http://www.mrgasket.com/pdf/DFI.pdf

2)
The EMIC manual lists the typical current requirement
for a low impedance injector, and it’s very close to
meeting the specifications of the drivers.
“If a peak and hold injector or driver is rated at 4/1
amps that translates as 4 amps to open the injector
and 1 amp to keep it opened.”  Then it says “A
standard 015013 ECU incorporates 4 4/1 drivers”
page 15 of http://www.mrgasket.com/ftp/pdf/EMIC.pdf
Then they show a graph of a current vs. time for a low
impedance injector.  It peaks at approx 2.5 amps, then
holds at approx 0.5 amps.
See figure 1.15 on page 14 of
http://www.mrgasket.com/ftp/pdf/EMIC.pdf
Using 2 injectors with one driver would then require a
5 amp peak, and 1 amp to hold.  Would this be possible
with a 4 amp peak, 1 amp hold driver?

3)
Why would Accel choose to install 4 expensive
peak-and-hold injector drivers instead of 2 cheap
saturated drivers like the OEM’s typically did?

-Rob