[Diy_efi] Low cost 2-axis accelerometer

Phil Hunter diy-efi at t-n-e.com
Mon Dec 2 21:50:36 GMT 2002

The Dec. '02 issue of Nuts-N-Volts magazine has an article on a 2 axis
accelerometer from http://www.memsic.com, price is in the $10-15 range.
Outputs are either a digital PWM or analog voltage depending on model,
most seem to be either +/- 2 or 10G's. Most are surface mount, but the
"GW" suffix parts are 14 pin DIPs.

The technology they are using is interesting, details on their web site,
I wouldn't think it would be suitable for automotive environments, but
they mention using it for air-bags.

Obvious use for DIYers is data logging and correlating tuning w/
acceleration and horsepower. Not exactly related to this list, but one
app. note suggests using it for a burglar alarm.

Frequency response rolls off about 30Hz, but they have an app. note on
how to get beyond 160Hz, makes me wonder if there might be some way to
use it to monitor an engine, detecting a misfire perhaps? Getting a
"signature" for later comparison?

The article states the 2125GW is identical to Analog Devices ADXL202.

rgds,
philh
(digest)