[Diy_efi] OT: ABS retrofit into older car...

Eric Deslauriers eric.deslauriers at oracle.com
Thu Dec 5 19:30:03 GMT 2002

Check out Mercedes' new braking system on their SL500. Now when you try to
modulate, the system takes over for you. Once you do max braking, it keeps
it up.

http://dev.roadandtrack.com/reviews/roadtests/ArticleDisplay.asp?ArticleID=4
8&page=2
and the top of page 3 as well.

Couldn't find a link to the brake point article, but the brakes on this
beast are nothing short of awesome. And there's still so much more they need
to do to have awesome ABS.

My car has excellent ABS, but when I'm diving towards a corner and the RF
wheel hits some moss and the front brakes let go when I'm expecting to
continue slowing down so I can nail the apex, it takes a moment to realize
that you need to steer more or go off the road.

And when going off the road involves a 30 foot embankment and trees, it
don't get much more exciting.

Eric D

Hi,

I not sure how good current ABS' really is, but, my initial thought
would be that with an "ideal" ABS stomping the pedal and keeping it
there would be the best approach, it should apply maximum possible
breaking on all four wheels and as the weight transfer starts, move more
  breaking onto the front wheels maintaning maximum on all wheels until
the car is stopped.
Trying to breake optimal yourself would only get you and the electronics
        in a fight, and take longer ??

-Lasse