[Diy_efi] OT: ABS retrofit into older car...

Eric Deslauriers eric.deslauriers at oracle.com
Thu Dec 5 20:57:11 GMT 2002

Apparently it is a marvel at the track. The max braking is if you stab the
brake, then let off a bit and appears to be only for an indeterminate period
of time (or speed reduction?). Not until you come to a stop or anything like
that.

People apparently panic when the pedal starts chattering and let off,
thereby extending their stopping distances.

Threshold braking is good, but once ABS steps in, you're supposed to let it
do the work if you're trying to minimize stopping distances.

IMO, this max braking feature means the guy behind you will rear end you
since he was likely too close to begin with and his car won't even come
close to stopping as quickly. :)

My car has been rear ended due to its superior braking abilities (60-0 in
appx 113 feet). the guy behind me started braking harder earlier than I did.
But since I didn't want to hit the guy in front of me, I had no choice (and
likely would have been hit anyways).

All ABS is not created equal. The ABS on my 93 Suburban was complete JUNK.
Nothing like getting pushed into a wet intersection by your trailer because
you hit the white line and ABS kicked in. It cycled too slowly to be very
effective IMO. The ABS on my '01 Yukon XL is pretty solid and the brakes on
it rock too.

Eric D