[Diy_efi] RE: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #391 - 13 msgs

Patrick Cahill patc at opposition.tv
Fri Dec 6 06:02:51 GMT 2002

Message: 10
From: "The McConnell's" <karlandanne at sympatico.ca>
To: <diy_efi at diy-efi.org>
Subject: Re: [Diy_efi] OT: ABS retrofit into older car...
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 18:45:30 -0500

"All ABS is not created equal. The ABS on my 93 Suburban was complete JUNK.
Nothing like getting pushed into a wet intersection by your trailer because
you hit the white line and ABS kicked in. It cycled too slowly to be very
effective IMO. The ABS on my '01 Yukon XL is pretty solid and the brakes on
it rock too."

thats not fair, comparing the brakes on a subaru (light little car) pulling
a trailer on wet pavement, to a 8000lb suv.  of course the 8000lb suv isnt
gonna skid in the same situation.

That's funny actually because I had a 2000 Subaru Impreza WRX turbo which
had crap ABS because it cycled too quickly! On dirt and gravel it really
didn't stop at all!! I had a couple of white knuckle moments when coming up
to a stop sign on an unpaved country road.

 Most Australian systems actually pulse quite slowly (compared to countries
that have snow as a standard fature of winter) due to the fact that the
quickest way to stop on dirt is to partially lock the wheels and push a
small berm of dirt in front of the tyre.

This may seem a little strange, especially to Europeans, but we Australians
encounter dirt roads like you guys come across snow and ice. We have to
really look hard for either snow or ice to drive on but dirt roads are
common (small popualation + huge country = crap roads!).