[Diy_efi] (off topic) Disk pad wear reduction with hydraulic reverse valve ?

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 6 08:30:05 GMT 2002

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 01:49:32PM +0000, Mike wrote:
> mmm, I'm not wanting a 'huge' pedal travel and not sure why you
> automatically think thats what I want...

> I'm wondering if there is some valve arangement that would only
> draw back enough to give say 0.5mm pad-disc clearance - obviously
> dont want it to go any further for time/safety reasons etc

Most disc brakes already tend to do that. There's an O-ring that
"rolls" along with the piston and flexes forward under pressure.
When the pressure is released, it tends to pull the pad back as it
becomes unstressed. The O-ring also serves to keep the piston near
the disc as the brake pads wear.

Any uneven-ness in the brake disc will tend to push back the pads
further so that they're only rubbing at the top. Of course, having
non-warped discs is preferable.