[Diy_efi] (off topic) Disk pad wear reduction with

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 6 08:56:48 GMT 2002

At 04:27 PM 6/12/2002 +0800, you wrote:
>> I'm wondering if there is some valve arangement that would only
>> draw back enough to give say 0.5mm pad-disc clearance - obviously
>> dont want it to go any further for time/safety reasons etc
>
>Most disc brakes already tend to do that. There's an O-ring that
>"rolls" along with the piston and flexes forward under pressure.
>When the pressure is released, it tends to pull the pad back as it
>becomes unstressed. The O-ring also serves to keep the piston near
>the disc as the brake pads wear.

Brilliant - I didnt realise this was inherent in the construction,
do I take it there might be a simple way to extend it somewhat.

>Any uneven-ness in the brake disc will tend to push back the pads
>further so that they're only rubbing at the top. Of course, having
>non-warped discs is preferable.

Yeah true ~`:, thats one of the things on the list,

Kind Regards  ~`:o)

Mike Massen
Network Power Systems
Perth, Western Australia  Ph/Fx +61 8 9444 8961, Mb +61 438 048961

Power system in Jungle, Twin tyre car, Differential gauge experiment
http://members.iinet.net.au/~erazmus/index.html

Some say there is no magic but, all things begin with thought then it becomes
academic, then some poor slob works out a practical way to implement all that
theory, this is called Engineering - for most people another form of magic.