[Diy_efi] Re: Veggie Van- more details:...

Stephan Helbig sthl at gmx.de
Fri Dec 6 18:20:00 GMT 2002

Hi Steve & others,

I've been running my car (Golf 2 GTD) on vegoil for about 2.5 years now.
Before I had a Volvo 240 estate (VW 6 cyl.) which also drank 100%
vegoil. So I'm into the subject for about 4 years now. Many Germans do
it here as it is mich cheaper that fossile diesel.
Just a few notes on what has been posted here:
1.) Vegoil is not biodiesel! There is
-fresh vegoil (cold pressed or refined) from any kind of oil plants,
mostly rapeseed or sunflower.
-used vegoil (which you can get from your local Chineese or so). it must
be filtered to at least 5µm.
-biodiesel, which is de-esterified vegoil. This is usually done under
much energy consumption. Biodiesel dissolutes any rubber parts that are
not viton meterial (usually known as biodiesel-proof). This might attack
your fuel lines & injector pump sealings and make them leaking.

2.) There are two ways of running a diesel on straight vegoil (SVO) or
waste vegoil (WVO):
-two tank system: Have a second tank, solenoid valves and start your
engine on diesel until it is warmed up. Then let the vegoil run through
a heat exchanger (in-line with coolant water car heating line) into your
injector pump. But: you need to flush the pump before turning the engine
off.
-single tank system: consists of a heat exchanger, wider fuel lines
(10mm), starting aid (longer glow plugs, after start heating relais).
Disadvantage: When it's colder than -5°C you should ad some diesel to
keep it liquid.
- last but not least:**Mercedes prechamber diesels** DON'T need any
conversion! Raise the pressure of the injectors by 20bar and run it on
100% vegoil. They have an inline pump and start usually quite well with
the OEM preheating system. See: http://www.rerorust.de (-->click English
Flag).

3.) Problems:
-engines with Bosch distributor pumps: Don't run them on more than 1000
1/min (= 2000 rpm engine speed) until they get warm fuel. Otherwise the
pump pistin can seize due to insufficient lubrication of the high
viscose oil.
-engines with Lucas/CAV distributor pumps: Be careful. They tend to
seize. replace them by a suitable Bosch model or take care the fuel is
alsways filtered to at last 1µm!
-direct injectors: still need a two tank system. The problem is that
hole type injectors don't spray the cold (high viscose) fuel well enough
so that unburneed fuel gets between cylinder & piston which can cause
engine seizures. So only run it on *hot* vegoil (at least 70°C) and
start on diesel!

Why I got on the list here is actually this topic: I'm trying to do some
"vegoil- chiptuning" i.e. adapting the maps to special needs of cold
starts on vegoil. I want to extend the preheating time, advance the fuel
injection on startup and maybe get an engine speed limit until the
coolant water is hot enough to heat the vegoil.

Ok that was a lot of text. A few links finally and then I'll disappear
again into a silent reader ;-)

http://veggiepower.org.uk
http://pub35.bravenet.com/forum/show.php?usernum=2953871281&cpv=1
(Forum)
http://www.northwales.org.uk/bio-power/ (besides other things: Info on
Tax situation in GB- how to get registered with Customs & Excise)
http://www.goatindustries.co.uk/fuelsdatabase/ (Vegoil Car Database)
http://www.fmso.de (a German Forum with a big database)
http://www.fatty-fuels.de (another Germany forum)
http://biodiesel.vtrekker.com/ (a Swedish site)
http://www.betavalve.com/ (Soleniod valve supplier)
http://personal.inet.fi/yritys/ekolaiho/mustarddiesel.html (a mustard
oil project from Finnland)
http://home.t-online.de/home/strutzberg/ (a German TDI conversion)

Ok enough for today. It's a bit off topic here so I hope it helps. If
not, contact me personally or have a look on my homepage.

Stephan

--
My Homepage:
http://www.e-ger-translation.de