[Diy_efi] Distributor cap Q

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 7 19:59:51 GMT 2002

--- Bob Tom <tigers at bserv.com> wrote:

> I had been experiencing bucking/hesitation/misfiring
> on the track whenever the engine was above the 5500
> rpm range.  I discovered that the contacts inside
> the cap and on the rotor were coated with hard,
> thick chalky deposits.

I've seen this, from arcing due to spark advance being
such that the spark fires before complete contact is
made between the cap terminal and the rotor terminal.
IF your ignition TIMING is not set by the distributor
body (i.e., if you have solid-state ignition and the
pickup is not in or on the distributor body), rotating
the body so the contacts line up better at the time of
full advance spark would be my advice.  And of course,
replace the cap and rotor.  ;)