[Diy_efi] (off topic) Disk pad wear reduction with

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 9 14:54:07 GMT 2002

At 04:44 AM 12/7/02 +0100, you wrote:
>What makes you think there is such wear? The most infime disk warp (i.e. the
>one all disks have) will retract the pads just a bit and the remaining
>friction is negligible, if any. Try something: take any standard car (cold),
>drive it at speed for a while and then let it stop, all without ever
>touching the brakes, now check the disk temperature. I'm willing to bet they
>are completely cold.

Well firstly, there is evidence that they can drag from time to time, so what
I'm interested in is a means to *be sure* there is no contact - rather then
hoping there isnt - a subtle but important engineering paradigm ;)
Especially since the 'standard' caliper arrangement seems a bit basic and
I have been wondering if there wasnt something better...

As you've probably seen on this mail list, GM went to some trouble with a
modified cylinder to cover this issue and I am looking into it.

I also have heard there are those on competitive economy runs that go
to considerable trouble over several aspects of fuel consumption management,
and do attend to this issue and as someone has commented on the wheel
bearings as well.

Granted, I am not in a competitive economy test, I just feel it prudent
to consider this if I am to embark on some form of economy test over a
3000km distance - where I am looking to manage 'some' of the issues which
could affect the outcome,

Rgds

mike