[Diy_efi] Veggie van.

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 11 15:56:50 GMT 2002

At 04:30 PM 11/12/2002 +0100, you wrote:

>Small solar cells make less energy in their whole lifetime than you could buy
>from a nuclear power plant for the cost of the cell.

<cough> Thats a real bad example, the risk index for both energy
sources is (to say the least) widely and wildly different !
And thats a major factor in comparitive studies regarding
energy sources, statisticians and critical path planners
(who are not readily influenced by the nuclear lobby) are on the
whole likely to dismiss nuclear power sources,

Solarex, who make solar panels, run their whole facility off
their product, so where does that figure in your paradigm ?

btw: Solar panels are still expensive mostly because there
is little compelling need for competition, no where near
critical mass in market terms, the trick is to:-

a.	Raise efficiency by handling more of the spectra
and
b.	Integrate solar into roof building materials
	structurally and electrically to raise drastically
	economies of scale...

Then you could use the 'spare' power to make methanol and
run our cars on it, forget the woeful problems with
batteries - a tank of relatively clean burning fuel
like methanol and your classic ICE still seems to have
a really long life - unless fuel cells can also be brought
down in price by a considerable degree, but politics and
special interest groups are the real problem - just get
em to stay in the sun a bit longer en masse without their
suits and see how they deal with it ;)

rgds

mike