[Diy_efi] Combustion temperature for max power

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 18:34:36 GMT 2002

--- Hugh Keir <hugh at sol.co.uk> wrote:

> If burning fuel + oxygen turns into heat and the
> heat gives pressure in the chamber to move the
> piston down, does it then follow that you want the
> maximum in cylinder temperature before melting
> things to get maximum horsepower from your engine?

Yes.  Kinetic energy is what you are going for.  The
more, the better, in terms of power.  Right up until
your components lose structural integrity from
heating, and your motor comes apart with a rather
forceful bang.

Heat engines are always a compromise between
structural integrity/long life and power output.  Thus
the increase in composites and ceramics in
cutting-edge research engines; the more heat you can
keep in the combustion chamber (and the exhaust, to
keep exhaust gas velocity high and aid extraction),
the better.  We've seen ceramic coatings on piston
faces for years; now there are ceramic cylinder liners
coming out, and more.  The future will be very interesting...

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |