[Diy_efi] Re: Lubrication - wheel bearings

Bill Washington bill.washington at nec.com.au
Fri Dec 13 07:20:22 GMT 2002

--------------010700000706080804040709

Mike, Bernd, Have you gents heard of Pro-Ma lubricants: Oil additives,
Wheel Bearing Grease, and Lubricant spray? I use it and sell it and have
found it excellent for reducing friction in bearings and also sliding
surfaces - sometimes too much! - one spring loaded, sliding surface
changed (with one application) from being so stiff it was almost
impossible to move without breaking the mechanism to being so slippery
that it wouldn't stay in any location (the spring loading hadn't
changed!). I have been using these products now for about 10 years and
find them great. If anyone wants more info please contact me directly
(off list) and I will be happy to let you know more. Regards Bill
Message: 2 Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 08:55:16 +0800 From: Bernd Felsche
<bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au> To: diy_efi at diy-efi.org Subject: Re:
[Diy_efi] (off topic) Disk pad wear reduction ... Reply-To:
diy_efi at diy-efi.org On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 09:16:09AM -0600, Greg
Hermann wrote:

>> For reduced wheel bearing drag in an economy run, one might try
>> what the Nascar boys do for qualifying--10 wt or light synthetic
>> oil in the wheel bearings, no grease.

Dry, with no seals is even lower friction as there's no viscous drag
on the rolling. I don't think that the normal wheel bearing will do
3000km though... not the way bearings are loaded and sized for road
cars. Heavier grease lube acts more like a gear-oil by helping to
distribute contact pressure resulting in longer life.

If you want to try it out, strip down the bearing an wipe it "dry"
before re-assembly. There are some lubricants that can be used for
dry-lube such as spray-on PTFE or silicone; or even gun-oil such as
Ballistol. All of these tend to leave a stick-free surface.

Coincidentally, I'm working on the design of wheel hubs for a solar
race car.

The reason for running some lubrication is because the diameter of
the inner race is different to that of the outer race so the rolling
element has to slip against one or both surfaces. It follows that
the closer the circumferences of the races, the lower the amount of
slip - been thinking about this sort of thing a lot over the past
couple of weeks.

Then there's also the matter of lubricating the cage...

-- /"\ Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia \
/ ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus! X against HTML mail |
Copy me into your ~/.signature / \ and postings | to help me spread!