[Diy_efi] Throttle body size

Tlsalt at aol.com Tlsalt at aol.com
Fri Dec 13 14:37:43 GMT 2002

Eric Byrd wrote,

The SDS folks I just got done reading from their site say this about
throttle bodies:  if the vacuum taken off the MAP sensor is higher at
full throttle than at idle, your throttle body is too small.

I found out some more info.  An engine needs 5.7 cc/min of fuel per hp.

Hello Eric,

Read that again......another impossibility.  MAP sensors read manifold
pressure, vacuum in an NA engine.  Just what kind of engine could have higher
vacuum at WOT than when the same engine is sucking against a closed throttle
plate?  No chance. What they mean is if vacuum start climbing after reaching
a minimum at WOT under load.

The amount of fuel an engine needs is not 5.7cc/min per hp.  It varies for
every engine and is the BSFC.  How much ?  Engines from the same manufacture
can vary by as much as 18% (high comp Heron vs low compression Hemi) and
there are no accurate sweeping generalizations about BSFC. In fact, most of
these subjects are far more complicated than you suggest.

I'd speculate that the main reason some Hondas are less detonation prone is
not the bore size, it is the design of the combustion chamber at and near
TDC. The difference in distance is very small on these little engines. There
are plenty of small bore detonation prone designs.  Small bore engines with
large, open combustion chambers (like Hemis), that need tall piston domes to
have decent compression ratios, are very detonation sensitive. Their
combustion chambers at TDC are long thin crescents.  Many Hondas have small,
compact combustion chambers, with almost flat top pistons and are much less
sensitive.

I agree, speculation is not a crime, but offering erroneous, sweeping
generalizations as "advice" on this list should elicit some response.  What
ever happened to Bruce ?   I'm sure he would have something to say about this
subject........

Paul