[Diy_efi] Newbie ? refined

Tlsalt at aol.com Tlsalt at aol.com
Fri Dec 13 20:59:54 GMT 2002

 bob limo wrote,

The reason for the ? was that I was thinking about a
way to just turn on the injectors 100% at wide open
throttle and run a little nitrous oxide as close to
stoichimetric as possible.  Problems are: 1) some on
this list say duty cycles are at max in general and
some say they are not. If there is headroom then in
theory you haev more fuel capacity to prevent a lean
burn. 2) events are happening so fast that are all the
injectors really spraying all the time at WOT anyway?
Things aren't really that sequential so I don't think
it matters if I dump fuel for those short times 100%
thru all injectors? 3)Does wiring up injectors that
way cause any bad feedback to ECU?  It is a real
hassle to figure out how to nitrous a dry manifold,
with minimal effort,  never ment to flow a wet
mixture.  I may end up fining that the headroom left
in stock injectors is so little that Nitrous just does
not work well this way.

Hello Bob,

This is just a bad idea.  Injectors are not designed to run at 100% duty
cycle (open all the time), they will eventually over heat and fail.  In any
event, the head room you are talking about is 10-15% of rated hp, not much of
a nitrous boost, and you want more excess fuel to cool the engine and reduce
the chance of detonation with nitrous.  Some dry kits use regulated bottle
pressure to boost the fuel pressure regulator, which is a safer way to go
than shorting out the injectors. You can figure out how much fuel your stock
injectors can supply by using the formula (SQR (NP/OP))*injector rating, with
NP=new pressure and OP=old pressure.  Still you will be limited to a minor
nitrous shot.  A wet system with port nozzles is the way to go with nitrous
or consider the new injector mount nozzles.

Paul Saltwick