[Diy_efi] Intro, and q's about fuel economy

William Shurvinton shurvinton at orange.net
Mon Dec 16 00:32:53 GMT 2002

Have a peek at www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html if  you want to run with
micro control. It's what I run. Not as flexible as some OEM stuff, but huge
amounts of spare code space.

WOT= Wide open throttle
BSFC= brake specific fuel consumption

You want to find the operating point of your engine where BSFC is the
lowest. This 'may' not be the lean limit of operation. Or another way,
ideally you would be able to work out exactly how much torque and RPM range
you need to accelerate between x &Y and then optimise the engine to be most
economical producing that torque with the throttle wide open. Makes more
sense if you look at the standard curves in a text book that plot power and
BSFC against AFR. You suddenly realise that catalytic converters may not be
such a great thing after all :-)

Bill