[Diy_efi] Intro, and q's about fuel economy

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 16 01:12:31 GMT 2002

At 6:36 PM 12/15/02, William Shurvinton wrote:
>Have a peek at www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html if  you want to run with
>micro control. It's what I run. Not as flexible as some OEM stuff, but huge
>amounts of spare code space.
>
>WOT= Wide open throttle
>BSFC= brake specific fuel consumption
>
>You want to find the operating point of your engine where BSFC is the
>lowest. This 'may' not be the lean limit of operation. Or another way,
>ideally you would be able to work out exactly how much torque and RPM range
>you need to accelerate between x &Y and then optimise the engine to be most
>economical producing that torque with the throttle wide open. Makes more
>sense if you look at the standard curves in a text book that plot power and
>BSFC against AFR. You suddenly realise that catalytic converters may not be
>such a great thing after all :-)

"Internal Combustion Engines and Air Pollution" by Edward F. Obert has some
EXCELLENT info on all such stuff. If your school library doesn't have a
copy or three of this book, somebody ought to be "spanked" !!

Obert also includes some fascinating information on a wide variety of
fuels. WHO is providing the fuel for this little contest ?? Do you have a
CHOICE with regard to fuel to be used ??  :-)

Greg