[Diy_efi] Intro, and q's about fuel economy

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 16 14:32:07 GMT 2002

At 11:47 PM 15/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>It's simpler than that.  The exhaust gases already have fuel in them to
>some degree.  You recycle that in place of actual fuel.  The only way to
eliminate throttle losses is to have no throttle at all.  You then do the
throttling via
>modulation of the valve timing.

Is this an april fools post or am I missing something, do you class
the rather less than 0.2% of available fuel in the exhaust as
'exhaust gases alread have fuel in them to some degree' ?

I would have thought the 0.2% or less to be negligible in terms
of adding fuel to a cylinders mix for its next power cycle ! !

>What you want is an engine configuration that requires no enrichment (use EGR
>for enrichment) and has a flat torque curve.  You can cam the little motor to
>peak torque really early, but a fully variable cam timing would be the best.

Huh - I am definitely missing something here, 'use EGR for enrichment',

pray tell what 'degree' of enrichment would you expect ?

rgds

mike