[Diy_efi] Using EGR as poor man's CR control ?

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Mon Dec 16 16:48:46 GMT 2002

Hi chaps,

This issue re EGR recently, ie in last few mins,

Any synopsis on considering using EGR as equivalent to
compression ration control - I guess I mean 'well cooled'
EGR through to not so well cooled and controlling the volume,

The 'bar' of acceptable engine complexities seems to be rising,
after all we know have VVL, variable length runners in current
BMWs and VVT in many cars, led it seems mostly by the japanese
in volume production...

I read somewhere a technique for CR control was through moving
the valves but it seems to me any sort of geometrical chamber
issue re CR is frought with difficulties, so could some other
issue such as EGR be in some way equivalent - ie Control
volume *and* temperature for effective CR control ?

Rgds

mike