[Diy_efi] Using EGR as poor man's CR control ?

Gerald Gnitter ggnitter at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 16 18:02:21 GMT 2002

It's simply a matter of dilution of the intake charge
thereby reducing the amount of cylinder pressure upon
ignition.  Certainly spent exhaust gasses re-cycled
into the combustion chamber will be slightly more
compressible than will the same volume with only fuel
vapor and air, but the delta would be literally
un-measureable.  So, mechanical compression ratio is
un-altered.
Another factor that EGR plays is as an agent that will
slow combustion.  This, in a sense, will benefit the
engine by having the same effect as a higher octane
fuel.

For un-believers, disconnect your knock sensors and
drive the car.  It will rattle.  Now, disconnect the
EGR vacuum control source.  It will rattle EXTREMELY
bad.

GG