[Diy_efi] Using EGR as poor man's CR control ?

Greg Hermann bearbvd at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 16 19:28:00 GMT 2002

At 10:02 AM 12/16/02, Gerald Gnitter wrote:
>It's simply a matter of dilution of the intake charge
>thereby reducing the amount of cylinder pressure upon
>ignition.  Certainly spent exhaust gasses re-cycled
>into the combustion chamber will be slightly more
>compressible than will the same volume with only fuel
>vapor and air, but the delta would be literally
>un-measureable.

April fools' day again ??

The hotter the gas, the more work it takes to compress it by a given
mechanical ratio.

The higher the molecular weight of a gas, the less its temperature will
rise when it is compressed.

MW of air (average) is 29, of water vapor 18, of CO 28, of CO2 44 . Draw
your own conclusions !!

Greg

  So, mechanical compression ratio is