[Diy_efi] Timing Advance Curve?

Hugh Keir hugh at sol.co.uk
Tue Dec 17 18:40:54 GMT 2002

My understanding is that as you advance ignition timing you will reduce the
exhaust gas temperature by creating a more complete burn of the air / fuel
mix in the cylinder.

The limitation is that at the onset of detonation EGT will rise sharply.

Is maximum torque found just before detonation? I am fairly sure this is
correct on high load acceleration but I am not certain on low load. I read
an SAE paper about in-cylinder pressures that discussed this subject and
concluded the above to be true, but as far I remember most of the tests were
carried out at 3000RPM.

Santa can I please have an ION sensing kit for Christmas!

Cheers

Hugh