[Diy_efi] Coil igniter question(s)

Merchant, Adnan Adnan.Merchant at TycoHealthcare.com
Tue Dec 17 23:35:20 GMT 2002

Hi,

For us DIY types, we must question any and all levels of non-integration,
right ?  :-)

I have observed that many of the commercial aftermarket EFI systems offer
igniter modules.   I looked under the hood of my wife's '96 Subaru and sure
enough, there was a two-channel igniter feeding the twin coil pack.   Coils
are available with and without built-in igniters.

Being new to all this, I have to ask a rather basic question - if dwell is
controlled by the ECU, is the igniter nothing more than a switch?   Does it
actively manage coil charging ala the MC3334 ignition controller chip (by
the way, is there a similar device available?).   Perhaps this is done for
reliability purposes in that igniters fail reasonably often, making it
painful to repair the ECU.

Is there a circuit available to control coil charge time without resorting
to angle-time ECU control?   Perhaps angle-time is the best way to handle
this after determining coil charge time?

Thanks,
Adnan