[Diy_efi] changing wbo2 reading via timing

Erik Jacobs emj14 at columbia.edu
Wed Dec 18 02:05:09 GMT 2002

> Well, so far in this thread we've had one person with
> experience explain that changing the ignition timing
> can change the reading on a WBO2 sensor, without
> changing the fueling.  And it's pretty well-known that
> plug chops tell you if you have the right heat range
> plug for the engine and fueling, and nothing more.
> You CANNOT use plug chops for effective tuning unless
> you ALREADY KNOW that you have the optimal heat range
> for your engine.  THEN they can tell you something.

Uh... doesn't it MAKE SENSE that the wbo2 reading would change with a change
in timing?  I mean, if you change your spark timing, can't it end up
effecting the actual extent of the combustion that occurs?  Like in an
extreme case, if the spark was way late (super retarded), you'd completely
miss TDC and may not get any ignition at all, which would result in an
extremely rich mixture reading as the whole charge passes out thru the
exhaust valve...

But if someone already said that, pardon me for not reading the thread.