[Diy_efi] Dyno. cooling

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 02:17:06 GMT 2002

--- Bernd Felsche <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au>
wrote:

> You're not considering the car as a whole... an
> engine's output power is determined by ambient
> conditions.  Unrepresentative airflow through the
> engine compartment probably means that components
> aren't operating at representative temperatures.

What parts are you concerned about?  We've already
agreed that a dyno will never be exactly the same as
real-world operating conditions...  What parts do you
feel would be operating outside of normal parameters
given extra airflow?  Considering that the air moving
through the engine compartment couldn't possibly cool
the components to, say, winter ambient temperatures,
there's no way you could end up with below normal
operating temperatures on any component I could think
of, unless you were designing a Venus rover or
something.

> Somebody else already mentioned that drawing air
> from underneath the car would be a closer
> approximation to the real road.

The ultimate question is, "Does it make a meaningful
difference?"  I'm not understanding how it could be,
when speaking of underhood temps.

> In essence what they need is the
> vehicle/prototype/model moving relative to the
> ground with the air "attached" to the ground; but
> they're only moving air relative to the ground and
> the vehicle.

Unless it's a "rolling road" wind tunnel.  And even
that is not PERFECT, simply very, very close.

> I know that's somewhat esoteric; but keep it in mind
> when you think about how representative of road
> conditions the dynamometer really is...

*grins*  Yes, I keep saying that...

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |