[Diy_efi] changing wbo2 reading via timing

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 06:39:18 GMT 2002

--- Shannen Durphey <shannen at grolen.com> wrote:

> The "instantaneous residual oxygen reading" is the
> output of the sensor,
> which shows up as a voltage trace on my scope.

I was talking about a snapshot.  Static.  Thus,
"instantaneous".  I'm sorry that wasn't clear.

> Rich running and lean running can look similar,

Not with a four-gas they can't.

> but as a tuner in the same room as the dyno, I can
> smell the difference between excess fuel and lack
> of same to the point of misfire.

Maybe if you know the engine, and have already tuned a
few.  You can't "smell" whether an engine is rich or
lean any more than you can "smell" whether you have
optimal ignition timing.

> And I'm not separating the exhaust gasses out of
> individual cylinder.

But you claim you can tell me what cylinder is
producing a transient on your WBO2 (assuming it's
actually a measured transient, and not a source supply
fluctuation or RMI).

> Diagnostic procedures for finding a misfire are
> easy, just like diagnostic procedures for
> determining a sufficiently rich engine ( and thereby
> a sufficiently lean one ) are easy.  In both cases
> you need to bring in "outside" information.

I suppose that depends on where you draw the line at
"outside".  Observing an engine at all bring in
"outside" information.

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |