[Diy_efi] changing wbo2 reading via timing

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Wed Dec 18 14:56:44 GMT 2002

Lol.

The four gas provides a frame of reference for the oxygen levels based on
the concentrations of HC and CO in the exhaust.  It's more useful with less
work than the O2 sensor by itself.  Average oxygen concentration alone
won't show the differences between excessively rich, excessively lean, and
stalled.  So I gave an HC level as a reference.  By the time the mixture
gets rich beyond the sensor's range, the HC's stink.  You don't _need_ to
have an expensive analyzer to notice that.  And I showed that I could use
my equipment by itself to detect one of the 3 conditions, stalled.  And I
mentioned that the O2 levels and the readings they represent on some of the
available equipment I've used _is_ averaged, that it's possible to get more
information from the sensor than what's provided by the WB display.

While you're busy telling the local car club how much better a purpose
designed car is for a specific job, I'm saying that there are ways to get
more out of the cars they have, and that there are tradeoffs to be aware of
no matter what type of ride they choose.

Shannen