[Diy_efi] Dyno

Marcell Gal cell at x-dsl.hu
Wed Dec 18 17:05:47 GMT 2002

Hi Guys,

> An inertial dyno is, for example, a dynojet??

I do not know. However, if I had to make a dyno
and didn't have the large electromotor/generator
for it on the shelf, I would use (maybe trucks') disk-brakes.
Measuring the rpm is straightforward.
Measuring the M (Nm) is not that difficult if we
measure the force (mechanically fixed electronic scales
attached to the fixed parts).
Energy would be dissipated to heat of course, and
the brakes should be cooled somehow
(fans and spilling water maybe?)
Maybe some hydraulics (electronically controlled valves)
could be involved if we need
to maintain a constant M or (rpm), not just as-is....

How does this sound? I've made similar measurements
on electromotors in the kW range, never on cars or
in the 100 kW range though.

   Marcell

- drum-brakes are better for telling the arm of force,
worse for cooling. Maybe some homemade brakes
would be the best, where steel stifts would be pushed against
the outer cylindrical surface of some large perimeter disks
(sorry for my poor English)