[Diy_efi] RE: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #413 - 12 msgs

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 18:16:46 GMT 2002

--- A6intruder <A6intruder at adelphia.net> wrote:

> I understand that the 4-gas gives more info than a
> WB, but for those that don't have access to a 4-gas
> a WB can still be very useful.

It can also be misleading if you are not careful.  I
would say it is substantially better than nothing for
roughing in a map, and is useful to varying degrees in
a number of different tuning situations.  However, for
adjusting fueling, your BEST tool will always be
residual CO, over residual O2.

> Below you discuss that the WB changes as you change
> timing at a given data point.  Of course it does,
> the WB is only reporting what it observes.

Fair enough, as long as you can somehow figure out
what optimal fueling is based on knowledge of the
behavior and your timing map.  For my dollar, it's far
easier to get a single quick reading that can tell me
a very great deal without having to guess or
calculate.  Since I doubt any of us own or build our
own dynos, we all rent time on them.  For that reason,
I would recommend renting time on one that gives you
the best "bang for your buck", if you wish to run on
one.

> Now you will have to decide if your resulting do
> have to change A/F again to achieve your A/F goal.

Exactly.  My point was that with a four-gas, you can
tune for best fueling, even if the vehicle could make
better power via timing changes.  It makes it a LOT
quicker for many people when on the dyno.

> My only point of entering the discussion is for
> those without a 4-gas not to discount the usefulness
> of a WB.

Again, understood.  More of a "horses for courses"
argument on my part, and I think I've already
mentioned the utility of the device more than once.

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |