[Diy_efi] inertial vs brake

Adam Wade espresso_doppio at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 18 18:42:03 GMT 2002

--- Erik Jacobs <emj14 at columbia.edu> wrote:

> my argument was more aimed at reaching other
> portions of the ECU map than the WOT curve, which is
> typically all you test when you do a dyno pull.

On an inertial dyno.  And even for that, it's not a
GREAT tool, simply because it never loads the engine
fully at any given speed/load site.

> It seems that if your ECU was using separate
> mappings for WOT and otherwise (as most factory ECUs
> do), that you would never really get to "test" your
> non-WOT mappings out with an inertial dyno.

I've not been inside TOO many factory ECUs outside of
some older Bosch stuff and almost everything used on
motorcycles, but I would not say they use separate
mapping for "everything else".  Most have a load/speed
table, and then modifiers for acceleration, coolant
temp, air temp, warmup, blah blah blah...  In some
variation.  One even has naught but a single table,
and then which sites picked off the table is adjusted
by temperature sensor inputs!

But yes, trying to map the table for best power output
(or emissions, or what have you) using something
without an adjustable load is quite more difficult.

> On a side note, is there anyone in the states who
> uses brake dynos capable of 300ish WHP?

You mean, on the list?  In general?  Are you looking
for one to use?

> but how many brake types are out there and in the
> hands of good tuners??

I'd wager a "not very many" guess.  If you know
someone with a spare $50,000 who wants to have one,
though, I can put the people together.  ;)  Then
there's the dyno room on top of that, of course...

=====
| Adam Wade                       1990 Kwak Zephyr 550 (Daphne) |
|   http://y42.photos.yahoo.com/bc/espresso_doppio/lst?.dir=/   |