[Diy_efi] Re: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #416 - 9 msgs

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Wed Dec 18 21:02:32 GMT 2002

At 08:56 PM 18/12/2002 +1100, you wrote:
>Mike,
>    The data sheet says "Spherical micrometallic particles"
>Both Lead and Copper micro spheres are in suspension in the grease or
>oil base (depending on the application).

I know someone who used to have a Honda Prelude, his engine blew
as his oil galleries were filled with a greyish sludge and he had
been a rigorous promar user for 9 years with his car from new,
dare I say it, he was not impressed and considered seriously
legal options.
Since then he uses the manufacturer recommended
oils in his new cars and has never had a problem with metallic
congealed sludge occluding his oil galleries.

If there was anything positive in the long term with adding
metallic particles to oil which *didnt* congeal into masses
of junk causing blocking of oil galleries then I think by now
the auto manufacturers would have taken it on board.

I have never seen one auto manufacturer endorse the practice
of adding 'microparticles' of metal into oil, when there is
no chemical basis for assuming they *wont* congeal into lumps.

With the pressures exerted by (for example) the crank against
the bearings - what suggests these extreme pressures *wont*
cause those metallic particles to be pressed together and
squeeze into the small galleries in the bearings and stay there ?

>From a psychological perspective people will always find
anecdotal and circumstantial incidents to add to their endeavours
as if its evidence. The modern internal combustion engine has
a great capacity for being abused by the addition of so called
additives and still manage to function and people misinterpret
its ability to continue to function as proof the additives
are doing their job.

The practice of MLM where people are 'driven' to make business
with and of their closest associates blurs the issue of integrity
and is a disgusting expectation and one of manipulation, when
every friend they encounter becomes another meal ticket. And to use
questionable chemistry and physics as the basis in an industry
that is very well researched has me dissapointed in the level
of intellectual heights the human race has reached.

What is the compelling evidence there is a chemical imperative
the metallic particles will *not* eventually become congealed ?

rgds

Mike

Rgds

mike