[Diy_efi] Timing Advance Curve?

Grant Beaty gbeaty at ufl.edu
Wed Dec 18 22:57:53 GMT 2002

>On turbocharged engines, where the A/F mixture is pressuirized, hotter, and
more knock-prone, the knock
>limit is most likely lower than the torque limit.  At least that's what I
think I heard...anybody else care to
>confirm?

This is true on all the Supra and DSM engines I've seen, with pump gas
(2jz-gtes and 4g63).

Who was it that said they've seen 4g63s blow up when trying to find the
knock limit? How the hell do you do that? The 4g36 bottom ends are by all
accounts just as strong as the Supra's but with a weaker head gasket. I've
seen a DSM have his boost controller line pop off, which spiked the boost to
over 30 psi. At the same time, the extra boost blew the FPR hose off. No
noticable damage. This was all on pump gas.

The same car has had the (internal) WG stick and not open at all a few
times. Only damage done was a blown headgasket (again on pump gas).

Grant