[Diy_efi] Timing Advance Curve?

Andris Skulte skulte at skulte.com
Thu Dec 19 03:10:23 GMT 2002

> The only way to get the information, is to calculate the heat release =
> rate. Therefor you need at least information about the incylinder =
> pressure. You need a incylinder pressure sensor and a trigger device =
> (resolution of 0.5deg works good enough). A good incylinder pressure =
> transducer costs ~$2000,-, bad one ~$1000,-. Low cost sensors are in =
> development since years, but not available today. Equations for =
> calculating the heat release rate can be found in the Heywood book and =
> in many SAE-papers.

At an SAE Congress, I came across Optrand, which makes fiber optic pressure
transducers. For about $600, they'd machine one of your sparkplugs for the
miniature pressure diaphragm/fiber optic fiber, and have a calibration box
for a 1-5V output. They're good to 30 kHz, and 1500 or 3000 psi.
(http://www.optrand.com/PSIplug.htm). It seems ideal for what we'd be doing.
Has anyone here used them?

Andris/Z28tt