[Diy_efi] Timing Advance Curve?

Mike erazmus at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 19 04:59:52 GMT 2002

At 10:15 PM 18/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>At an SAE Congress, I came across Optrand, which makes fiber optic pressure
>transducers. For about $600, they'd machine one of your sparkplugs for the
>miniature pressure diaphragm/fiber optic fiber, and have a calibration box
>for a 1-5V output. They're good to 30 kHz, and 1500 or 3000 psi.
>(http://www.optrand.com/PSIplug.htm). It seems ideal for what we'd be doing.
>Has anyone here used them?

Hey, these are a really neat idea and remind me of those plugs
with quartz windows so you could see the flame colour..

Looking at the optrands units, I wonder if it would be possible
to integrate the pressure sensor and a smaller quartz window
and watch the flame colour whilst simultaneiously observing
pressure variation, that is, two fibres, one for pressure
the other for flame colour.

ie. It would be neat to see a 2d graph of time versus
pressure variation and flame colour and the differentials
over changing load, mixture, inlet temperature, octane and
make up a 3D or higher D map of the items of interest etc etc...

Now if we could just integrate a spark plug with a high pressure
fuel injector <sigh> another story.

rgds

mike