[Diy_efi] RE: Diy_efi digest, Vol 1 #413 - 12

Shannen at grolen.com Shannen at grolen.com
Thu Dec 19 22:41:08 GMT 2002

How would you isolate the friction in the contact patch?  Without a way
to attach a similar mass to the wheels without the friction of the
contact patch...  And additionally, since the tire is normally on the
road, it's not unreasonable to say that rear wheel hp is the net sum
after deducting the loss from the friction of the tire on the road.
Yes, we do coastdown runs also.  I can measure inertial and friction
losses to the front of the trans on a manual, or to the front of the
crank.  With an auto trans things are a little different.  I can only
measure to the last connected point within the trans, in neutral.  Some
auto trans like the THM400 don't overrun on coastdown, so I can measure
losses to the front of th crank with that trans.  Newer trans will
overrun on coasting, so I can measure some of the inertial loss of the
trans versus engine.  How much of the trans I get depends on where in
the geartrain the overrun clutch is located.
Shannen